Vrsac and its surroundings are known as viticulture area since the Roman rule. The first written data on Vrsac wine originate in 1494, when a Budim court steward paid 10,5 golden forint for the barrel of Vrsac wine intended for the Hungarian King Ladislaus. In the 19th century, Vrsac vineyards were among the biggest vineyards in Europe and stretched across 17.000 acres (10.000 ha). The significance of viticulture for Vrsac area can be identified by the fact that since 1804, vine has been an integral component of the coat of arms of the town of Vrsac.
* * *
With respect to viticulture regionalization, Vrsac vineyards are located within the region of Banat and the South Banat Viticulture sub-region. They cover a great part of the slopes and bottoms of Vrsac Mountains at the altitude between 90 and 250 m, which along moderate-continental climate represents ideal conditions for vine growing. Vrsac viticulture area covers more than 2.000 ha vineyards, out of which the plantations of Vrsac vineyards cover around 1.700 ha.
* * *
Total cellar capacities of “Vrsacki Vinogradi” AD amount 34,2 million litres (3.420 wagons) and they can receive the whole grape yield of Vrsac viticulture area. The “New Cellar” was built in Vrsac in 1968. It has the capacity of 2.000 wagons and has the state-of-art equipment for producing and storing wine. As an architectural solution built under one roof, it represents one of the biggest cellars in Europe. Although the state-of-art equipment was introduced, considerable quantities of wine are stored in a traditional manner in wooden barrels, which is a real delicacy for wine lovers from all over the world.