After the Turks had left Serbia (1718 – Pozarevac peace treaty between Turkey and Austro-Hungary), upon the recommendation of François Eugène, Prince of Savoy, viticulture experts from Alsace, the Rhine Province, Mozel and Lotarginia migrated to our area. The first colonization was conducted by count Claudius Florimus Merci, and the first family that moved to this area was the family of Johan Tetz from Alsace. Johan Tetz settled in Gudurica under Gudurica peak and this part of the hill was named after him “Tetz’s hill”. The Tetz family was numerous but many members died of malaria since drinking water was contaminated and the floods didn’t allow the start of any production. After some time the family moved to today’s Gudurica village. At the time, the settlement consisted of 17 houses with the Serbian population. After the arrival of foreigners, they moved to the neighbouring place called Veliko Srediste, where they changed the village name into Kutric according to their surname – Kutricki.
Count Claudius Merci colonized the Germans, vine growers from the Rhine Province. In Gudurica development, the year 1832 was significant since Gudurica had a trade seal with which it could export wine and silk.
The development of Gudurice particularly in terms of viticulture and wine production resulted in the establishment of hardworking families and big producers of grapes and wine. Two families were particularly distinguished as per their progress and wealth, the Tetz and the Ber families. Tetz was a great land owner of surfaces under vineyards and he built the first cellar – today’s “Cellar of Friendship”.
Ber was also the owner of vast surfaces under vineyards and the biggest owner of woods (the whole complex around Gudurica peak). Ber built two cellars, much more valuable than that built by Tetz both in terms of architecture and construction, and these buildings are today’s “Head Office” and Maric’s cellar (the biggest in Gudurica). Maric was a physician (stomatologist) and Ber’s son-in-law. His surgery was located in the Head Office. Elisabeth Ber was the owner of the buildings and the property. In time, Maric took over the production of grapes and wine and the area of the hill and cellar was named after him. He had two cellars constructed and separated in terms of function and use: Maric cellar was a productive one, for receiving and processing grapes, fermentation and ageing. People who were in charge of wine and grapes lived in the building. Head Office and the cellar in that building were commercial. Wine that was prepared in the production cellar was supplied to the commercial cellar with the pumps and through wine pipes.
Wine was sold in the following manner: potential buyer was received in the rooms of commercial cellar where the receiving office was equipped with stylish furniture all relevant standards for landowners of that time. After meeting the buyer, the buyer was taken into sightseeing of the property, vineyards and forests in a carriage, after that the buyer was taken to the production cellar to see all the wines in the cellar, from barrel to barrel. In the end, the buyer and the host descended into a barrel in the middle of the cellar that was turned into a wine room. All wines potential for sale were opened and tasted there and the activities regarding the purchase and sales of wine conducted. Business discussions were completed in the commercial cellar where the host organized the lunch for the buyer, with wine, women and music. Girls for entertaining the guests were brought for that occasion and Juliska was the most famous of all of them in her appearance, build and voice.